April 16, 2021
Thank you to everyone who has taken the time to share your thoughts about the Superintendent search over the last six weeks! The Alma Advisory Group and the DPS board are excited to share everything they’ve been learning and how it’s informing the process.
Here are the TOP FIVE things you should know about the search so far.
- We’ve engaged in personal conversations with over 500 people across 50 meetings to learn what they want the board to prioritize in the next superintendent. DPS board members and the Alma Advisory Group have held the meetings representing all facets of our community. As we conclude community meetings, we are continuing to reach out directly to DPS families through phone calls and one-on-one conversations to gather their input.
- The community survey is still open. We’ve had over 3,000 participants, but there’s still time for more! We reopened it to ensure more voices, including student voices, are heard.
- Our community is seeking four main qualities in a new leader.
- A unifying leader
- A leader focused on racial equity and equity across all schools.
- A leader focused on authentic community partnerships and responsiveness.
- A leader with the capacity to create a strong academic program, especially in a post-pandemic world.
- We’re closer to identifying DPS’s new leader. Using your feedback to inform the candidate screening process, the Alma Advisory Group cast a wide net and searched near and far for our next superintendent. Over the last several months, Alma posted at over 46 sites, including national and local job boards, universities, affinity groups and professional associations. Alma and the DPS board have narrowed a field of 85 high potential recruits and applicants down to 14 with a diversity of backgrounds and experiences – 43% Black, 36% Latinx (all bilingual), 21% White, 71% Male and 29% Female. The candidates span nine states, 29% from within Colorado and others with strong ties to Denver and Colorado. Another round of rigorous interviews is now underway.
- The finalists will be selected and announced in mid-to-late May. The Alma Advisory Group is currently designing a public interview of the finalists to enable parents, community members, students, principals, teachers, and staff to learn more about them. Please stay tuned and we will be sure to share more information.