April 9 Update
Stakeholder engagement is in progress. Alma Advisory Group has hosted 37 community meetings over six week and received over thousands of survey responses from students, DPS team members, and members of the community so far. There is still time to provide feedback – we’ve re-opened our community survey and are accepting your responses through April 19! Take the survey now >>
Clear themes are emerging. The community is aligned on four key priorities: (1) Equitable distribution of resources across schools to meet students’ needs; (2) Respect for the cultural and racial diversity of the student body and recruiting and hiring a diverse staff; (3) Authentic community partnerships and responsiveness to community needs; and (4) Recovering, post-COVID.
Candidates are applying. Alma Advisory Group sourced and identified 53 high potential leaders. It received over 30 applications and is moving about 20 candidates into its internal first-round interview process.
You’ll meet the finalists in May! We’re still on track to introduce the finalists for superintendent to the community in May 2021.
March 16, 2021
We have been hard at work as the superintendent search gets off the ground. Here are a few of the latest updates:
- The superintendent posting has gone live and is viewable here. Please help us spread the word about the opening! #LeadDPS
- Our community engagement work has launched and we have begun meeting with and are scheduled to meet with more community groups, parents, students, staff and leadership. Please see the dates for our regional community gatherings here and help us get as many people there as possible. During our meetings we will share more about the search and then provide the opportunity for small groups to meet and share their ideas, hopes and feedback for our next superintendent.
- Please fill out our community survey! Our survey is live and it has been translated into nine languages. Please share your thoughts on our next superintendent, and share the community survey link with your friends and family to help us get as many voices heard as possible. Staff and students – please use the link that was emailed directly to your DPS account!
- Community input will support the search in three important ways:
- Strengthen the role description that will be used to recruit and screen candidates
- Inform the interview questions that we will use when meeting candidates
- Engagement at the finalist stage to help inform the final selection decision by the board
- We want your ideas! Please fill out the Community Comment form anytime to share your thoughts throughout the search process.
Take Our Community Survey
Friday, Mar. 12, 2021
This survey includes some of the most important questions DPS has asked our students, families, staff, and community this year. Who we choose for our next superintendent has a big impact on every student, every educator, and every school. If you are interested in what your student’s learning experience is like in school, how the district prioritizes its budget, and what the culture of the district will be going forward, you definitely want to take this survey!
The survey is also focused on planning for what families need next school year — like whether you’ll continue to need a fully remote school option, and what supports and opportunities are most important for your student.
Parents, guardians and community members can access the survey in ten languages.
Take the Survey >>
The Search Has Begun
Friday, Feb. 19, 2021
With the announcement of our search firm, Alma Advisory Group, our search for Denver Public Schools’ next Superintendent has officially launched!
In the weeks ahead we will post our updates here, so please keep checking back to hear the latest.
Our team is working hard to develop plans for a fully transparent and accessible process. In early March week we will launch a community survey, and we need your help getting as many voices participating as possible! In the coming weeks we will also begin going out into communities to hear your thoughts and ideas about what the district needs in its next Superintendent.
We are so interested in what you have to say, and this begins with sharing your ideas about how best to keep everyone informed and reach people who might not easily access email and virtual meeting opportunities.
What are your ideas for keeping everyone up to speed on the search? Do you have any creative ideas to help us connect with as much of the Denver community as possible?
Please fill out our comment form and let us know what you think.